Audition Information for Choral
Choral Auditions for 2017-2018
For Middle-School Students in Grades 5-8. Auditions will consist of the following:
The Star-Spangled Banner (perform measures 9-23, any voice EXCEPT solo or first soprano): PDF
- Star-Spangled Banner Soprano 1: MP4
- Star-Spangled Banner Soprano 2: MP4
- Star-Spangled Banner Alto 1: MP4
- Star-Spangled Banner Alto 2: MP4
A 32 measure piece of your choosing demonstrating musicianship, quality of tone and stage presence. The music may be a cappella.
For High-School Students in Grades 9-12. Auditions will consist of the following:
- Prepare a 32 measure piece of your choosing that best shows off your voice---demonstrating musicianship, quality of tone and stage presence. The music may be a cappella. Bring the sheet music wtih you, even if you intend to sing it a cappella.
- Applicants will be vocalized to check range.
- Applicants will be asked to complete a four measure sight reading example.
VX Studio Vocal Ensemble
Auditions for VX Ensemble for the coming year (2017-2018) will take place at director Gary Fry’s studio [13 Rolling Ridge Road, Northfield, IL 60093]. Audition times are available Monday evenings.
Everyone must audition or re-audition for the VX Ensemble. Past members are not automatically accepted.
Auditions will consist of the following:
- 32-bar excerpts (or the equivalent) of in contrasting styles selected from any two of the following four genres: classical art song, Broadway show tune, jazz standard, or contemporary pop prepared by the student
- Sight Singing of several short exercises
- Interview questions about musical background and future goals in music